Jobs for Helpers of High-Risk Youth


Social Workers pic
Social Workers

Attorney Henrietta Feldman focuses her solo practice in Palm Beach, Florida, on residential and commercial real estate. Henrietta Feldman also serves the community by mentoring high-risk children and teenagers.

Several occupational categories exist for persons wishing to help troubled youth: social workers, guidance counselors, outreach workers, and teachers.

Youth and family social workers generally have bachelor’s-level professional degrees. In addition to counseling, they locate resources for physical needs, such as food and housing. They work for organizations such as schools, non-profits, and walk-in clinics. Their contributions range from anti-gang violence training and substance abuse prevention to family problems and career choices.

Located in public and private schools, guidance counselors deal with problems that hinder learning. State-licensed and holding bachelor’s and often master’s degrees, they also address family dynamics, academic problems, and behavioral issues such as suicide. Guidance counselors additionally assist in selecting vocations and by giving standardized tests.

Outreach workers meet with troubled youth on their turf in recreational facilities and the streets. They strive to engage their clients in dealing with issues such as gun violence and drugs. They also advocate for them with local organizations and families. Outreach workers may have bachelor’s degrees in human services, but some do not have a post-secondary education.

Teachers often do more than hand out grades. They are sometimes the first to identify at-risk youth. Frequently serving as encouragers, teachers often spend time outside of school hours to mentor and serve as positive examples. Youth who would not ordinarily seek help from other professionals will sometimes go to their teachers for assistance.